Friday, February 5, 2010

Happiness 101

Watched Happiness 101 last night which was really very interesting. I'm going to write a few of the points down so I can look back and read them when I inevitably will forget.

#1 Allow yourself to be human. It is okay to feel a full range of emotions including anger, sadness and frustration. Ignoring or repressing them will only intensify them.

#2 Take mini daily breaks, monthly breaks and vacations (for at least a week at a time) every 3 months (ideally) or so. (I've been telling Kevin for years now he needs to take "mental health" days, but he has never heeded my advice.)

#3 Stress is not the problem. The inability to recover from stress is. Exercise, deep breath/meditate, get a good night's sleep. Exercise is akin to taking an anti-depressant.

#4 Simplify, simplify, simplify.

#5 Live in the present. When you are with your loved ones, are you really there? I know I find myself thinking about all the other things I should be doing and am not just enjoying the moment.

#6 Always be grateful. Write down or verbalize 5 things to a loved one that you are grateful for (I already started this last night.)

Check out this website by the author for additional information if you are interested.






1 comment: